Saturday, June 22, 2013

Being mindful of our limitations: Neurology in Leadership


Once upon a time, there was Myers-Briggs, and it was very good.  And there were Quality Circles, and they were very good.  And Six-Sigma and Lean Manufacturing, and Emotional Intelligence, and ... well, you get the idea. 

Now we have Neuroscience as part of our leadership toolkit.  While I applaud this effort (prophesied by no less than the great W. Edwards Deming many decades ago, btw under the term "Profound Knowledge" - check it out!) I am somewhat concerned about the brave new world of partially educated individuals who use this 'knowledge' in the service of corporations.

Before long, we will have Amygdala Hijack workshops, Hippocampus Campuses, and Cortex confabulation seminars. 

As my old man used to say, "You know enough to be dangerous."

So here's my gentle caution to the practitioners "I am not my Amygdala."  "I am not my Cerebral Cortex."  I am a person who expresses himself through these elements, but they are not me. 

Let's be careful as this new knowledge unfurls it's flag across our globe. 

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Jim. I echo your caution and want to return to this sentiment in the NeuroLeadership group frequently so that we don't wander astray from ourselves "as instrument" rather than the technique or lens.

    ReplyDelete