Ever wonder who really helps a company stay on track?
VPs of Finance, IT, Sourcing, Real Estate, Marketing, Sales ... ad infinitum?
Boards of Directors?
I hold a dissenting opinion on this one.
I believe that good Administrative people are the structural steel of any organization.
While all the other roles I listed are of utmost importance, good Admin people prevent organizations from flying apart.
Here are ten reasons why:
- They can contact anyone - providing speed of access to data, improving decision-making.
- They are persistent when a problem arises - they keep going until they find an answer to a question.
- They know the calendars of top executives (and just about everyone else).
- They can set up a recognition party in about an hour, (and that includes catering!)
- They connect people together because they know what's happening.
- They are proactive, often recommending that people get together to coordinate activities.
- They follow-through!
- They can work miracles to get people together.
- They know the details; conference call numbers, meeting room names, locations, access to printers, maps, local restaurants for guests, have access to hotel accommodations (often in many parts of the globe!).
- While they see the silos in the organization, they work across them to help the organization move ahead.
Good Admin people are some of the hardest working people in your organization. Take good care of them!
They are sharp, intelligent, gifted people who have mastered the art of multi-tasking.
While they may not be at the top of the organizational chart, they often write it, rewrite it and publish it. They know what's going on ... and they are worthy of recognition and rewards.
Pro/Axios - Organizational Insight Leading to Organizational Transformation