Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A tribute to those who do the work ...


Having been in organizational life since 1972, I have observed many people, in many work situations including global teams.  Today I simply want to thank those who have done the work.

Role Models

From childhood, I have been surrounded by those who know how to do the work.  Though my blue collar father had limited education, he always got the job done, and he rarely complained about the effort required.  My big brother is a self-taught engineer with a chronic disease, but he always got the job done ... and still does to this day.  My mother often worked two jobs in support of the family.  These are my role models and they still teach me today.  Blue collar families don't allow for a lot of whining - they expect results without debate. 

Workplace Heroes

In the workplace, you find people who get the job done.  They rarely complain, they dig in and they often do something many avoid: they take on the hard tasks that everyone else runs from.

These team members are wise, smart and thoughtful in their dealings with others, but they always keep their focus on the work. 

They persist ...

They strive ...

They "find a way" ...

They rarely give up ...

They encourage others to keep going ...

If you have team members who get the job done, be grateful and support them. 

They are everywhere ...

I have seen executives who do the work, and others who simply bark orders; I have seen Middle Managers and Directors who do the work, and others who simply "wait and see"; I have seen Staff and Line people in HR, IT, Sourcing, Finance, and other teams who do the work.  They get the job done.  It isn't a hierarchy thing, it isn't about power or glamour or recognition - these people simply get the job done. 

Yet they build reputations that precede them wherever they go ... People know that they will get the job done. 

My thanks to all in my life, on teams, in volunteer settings, churches, education and government agencies who have done the work.  We owe you a debt of gratitude.





No comments:

Post a Comment